Consuming My Time

Monday, October 9

Oximetry for Oct 8, unavailable, because I lost access to the SpO2 Review software that only was stored on the Toshiba laptop.

I cannot see this info until I receive the new Laptop Charger, power supply (scheduled for delivery late tomorrow afternoon, at almost dark) and hopefully I can access the computer’s hard drive by charging the battery.
Today is a holiday, so the USPS is closed. It is now (sadly) in the Ellensburg office, which is not open today, having come all the way from CA.

My first call was to nurse Cody in Cle Elum for the lab report on a BMP—which showed that the potassium calculated last Friday in the Ellensburg hospital lab was 4.5 and the Sodium was up to 126 mEq/L on its way to the low end of the range—133). The range is usually given as 133 – 146.

My first excitement this morning was from morning calls about my CITI Bank Costco card.
The first call I had was an 8:58 a.m. re: CITI BANK fraudulent activity expected on my card. This is not unusual because we had recently had a similar call from American Express for activities that were charged from two different cities in WA on the same day. This call today, however, was not from the credit card security team, but from an Out Of Area number in the 607 area code. I let the automatic answering voice mail machine record the message. It was obviously a scammer, giving me a 1-800 number to call to report my card details to justify fixing the fraud alert. I knew this was not the procedure security used, so I did not call. Instead, I got the number off the back of my VISA card, in question, and called that number for Customer Service, to report the fraudulent activity possibility.

It was immediately answered by the Fraud personnel at VISA, who already had my information (as I suspected), and told me the origin of the 3 suspected charges. The most recent was from Sugarland, TX for my Laptop Charger purchase. I verified that was correctly done and should be paid. The previous two were for $5.00 and $49.95 from a computer service (remotely sent to VISA), which I never heard of or had requested. I told them to cancel those two and not pay them. They did, and then said they would have to issue me a completely new number on a new card, and they would inactivate the existing one. It was only in my name (not John’s card, which has a different number). They were Fed-Ex’ing me a new card overnight, I would get the next day. That happened. I do not know the cost, but the delivery was Overnight, from O’Fallon, MO, for a tiny credit card in a big cardboard envelope. I’m happy they got it to me so rapidly and took care of the fraudulent charges.

When I was in town for my blood draw, last Thursday, and went by Amy’s to retrieve my music bag from her porch and the 5-gallon bucket, I mentioned in the blog last week I would include a photo of the gifts she left in the bottom of the bucket. Just this week, I made a scan of the card parts and then I took a photo of the almost empty box of fruit she left with the Get Well Card. I reported on this last week in the blog and promised to put a picture in this week. Above the top is the envelope’s front calligraphy and back hand-drawn dahlia (by Amy); the bottom is the get well card designed and painted on by Haley (her 4 yr old daughter) with text by Amy. The fruit box pix was too out of focus and you already know what Italian plums and Red Bartlett pears look like.

BP @ 9:10 a.m. was 138/76 pulse 68
BP @ 10:08 a.m. was 133/71 pulse 66 (1-½ Entresto)
BP @ 3:47 p.m. was 113/68 pulse 74 lowered by ”
BP @ 8:27 p.m. was 128/71 pulse 72
BP @ 9:51 p.m. was 118/71 pulse 84
BP @ 11:31 p.m. was 110/55 pulse 67 (1-½ Entresto)

My temperature was 98.7°F at 10:16 p.m.

Tuesday, October 10

Oximetry for Oct 9, still unavailable.

My temperature at 12:57 was 99.0°F (up from the past two days).

Sent a note to Emeriti Geographers about our email change and about the meeting I never scheduled for this morning. I’m sending at 1:05 p.m.

Very late tonight, I sent an email message to KV F&F about the need for this Thursday’s count and about music to bring in place of the new music, I have not yet completed that for Oct/Nov. I’m so far behind on everything needing done, with still feeling poorly, and canceling activities in town, this week.

Last week, when John returned from his work trip, Oct 6, 2017 to Talapus Lake, we never posted any photos from then, because we did not have them yet. Here are three with John in two from that day’s work.John, Rick & green hats, pushing large rock. On the right, the crew is spread along the trail, building and fixing tread.

BP 122/70 pulse 84 8:55 a.m.
BP 123/71 pulse 73 10:00 a.m.
BP 125/71 pulse 89 1:37 p.m. (1-½ Entresto)
BP 118/65 pulse 76 5:51 p.m. lowered by ”
BP 115/64 pulse 71 10:42 p.m. (1-½ Entresto)

Wednesday, October 10

Oximetry for Oct 9, still unavailable.

The laptop charger was not in the mailbox by 6:00 p.m. or 7:00 p.m. last night when John checked for the mail. It arrived late last night (according to tracking system) to our mailbox at 8:49 p.m., last night. It was too late for my ability to try installing the new Laptop Charger to make my Toshiba work.

John went for the overnight mail and the newspapers this morning, and found the package with the laptop charger. That did not solve my access problem as you will see below. First, I need to tell you of my attempt to talk to the postmistress in charge about how the very late delivery affected my health needs.

Problem with late delivery of an important package. I called the local post office for the 3rd time today, where I had left my land line number for a call back from the Postmistress. First, she was out to lunch and I left a message with Sean for her to call my land line, because my cell phone doesn’t always get reception here. Then I called again, and got another clerk, Patti, who told me April was with another customer, so she took all my info again I had given to Sean (#, address, and need to speak with April). I finally called again at 4:07 p.m. and April answered the phone. I told her I had left two messages for her to call me earlier, and she asked my name (again). I told her and my number and that she should have received two requests from me to call. She must have looked then, and said, “Oh you are the next on the stack I was ready to call.” Yeah, like I believe that?

She launched into a defensive answer about why it was late, and how she was at the PO yesterday from early until 10:00 last night, dealing with all the problems that occurred yesterday, and how she finally got to take her lunch break today.

She wanted me to know the reason it was so late (with no apology), that was because of our carrier not showing for work, all carriers were off on their routes, and they were only able to send a substitute out after they returned to the PO. I already learned that from the initial clerk I spoke with.

She further explained, the reason my tracking said it was out for delivery, is they scan every package in the facility going out the “morning” of the delivery. (It wasn’t scanned in until 12:06 p.m. Wednesday, so it would never have been there for our regular carrier to bring to us by his normal late delivery). She claimed they had a very large number of packages to scan yesterday morning after a holiday. Well, I cannot believe all carriers waited until that late to leave for all their deliveries, when some people in town get their mail in early afternoon, and we have in the distant past also gotten our mail delivered earlier in the afternoon (by a different carrier we’d had for years).

Okay … so now I know the reason it really did not leave for delivery to us at 12:06 p.m. and supposedly why it appeared to be delivered so late. My tracking said it was put in the mailbox at 8:49 p.m., Tuesday night.

There is a fallacy in the system, I’d say, if there is not a substitute carrier available in the morning when all the other carriers sort their mail and leave. (Just my honest opinion, while still upset). Her reasoning still does not explain the late time of the scanned out for delivery statement and if it was for our normal carrier’s route, why it was scanned so late, and it took them all the actual delivery time to get the substitute on the route.

Our carrier’s route is only one road, about 9 miles long (Naneum Road), proceeding north and then south. He has no E-W side roads to deliver mail. Even adding his to another carrier’s normal route wouldn’t delay it that long. End of rant.

We still need to leave and it’s 3:52 p.m., with the temperature down to 49°F on our front porch. I had planned to stay home the rest of the day, except for the need to deliver my big black music bag to the flute player’s porch, with the old August/September music books and audience copies, to be distributed tomorrow at the play location. John is going and will carry the bag to the porch, then go to Super 1 for bananas. I called from my cell, once delivered.

BP 139/73 pulse 76 @ 8:14 a.m.
BP 148/76 pulse 73 @ 9:44 a.m. (1-½ Entresto)
BP 118/64 pulse 68 @ 10:42 a.m. lowered by ”
BP 128/69 pulse 79 @ 2:41 p.m.
BP 126/64 pulse 75 @ 3:50 p.m.
BP 115/59 pulse 76 @ 3:56 p.m.
BP 94/47 pulse 71 @ 9:42 p.m.
BP 116/61 pulse 68 @ 11:37 p.m. (1-½ Entresto)

Temperature @ 10:30 a.m. Wed = 97.7°F (down from Tues).
Temperature @ 9:50 p.m. Wed = 98.2°F up a little not > avg.

Very late to bed tonight working on the Toshiba (now accessible) to obtain the information about the SpO2 Review software I needed to download from the site Sam Scripter sent me. The issue was time-consuming at best, but welcomed, and I thank Sam for his assistance in making my Toshiba’s new power supply work to see what was on the old computer’s hard drive. He also told me how to remove the battery and bypass it, to open the Toshiba. We decided it was not the power supply charger that had quit, but that the battery had died. It was only 2 years old, and cost over $100, but without using it, I can still transfer the information on there to my Dell. The power charger has never been replaced, so I am happy keeping it to transfer all my files, folders, and the software I can retrieve, and save the cost of a new battery. The SpO2 Review I most needed was not available in an .exe file on the Toshiba. So, that’s why we had to work around that.

Thursday, October 12

No CPAP – Calculated from Dell, after transferring the same SpO2 Review software version from the Toshiba. It had to be SpO2 Review, ver.1-2 rel. Now, it’s up on my Dell, but it reports the minimum values as <90%, so I have to translate the parameters to events below 88% SpO2, to be consistent with my past reports (since 2014) to my cardiologist and sleep doctor. Oximetry for Oct 11: SpO2 low 84, 17 events <88% with overall avg., 94.1%. Avg. low SpO2, 86.5%. Pulse avg. 59.9, low 53. Slept 5 hrs. 18 min.

10:05, I called Roberta Vorhees with a count today at Meadows of a max of 8 armless chairs for players coming.

I left at 12:35, going for to the Lab at the hospital for blood draws, INR and BMP. After the blood draw, I went back to the front desk for my medical records to date.

On my way from KVCH, I went to Bi-Mart for both kinds of Fisherman’s Friend cough drops. I came home to work on a ton of projects.

BP @ 8:14 a.m. was 139/73 pulse 76
BP @ 9:44 a.m. was 148/76 pulse 73 (1-½ Entresto)
BP @ 10:42 a.m. was 118/64 pulse 68 lowered by ”
BP @ 2:41 p.m. was 128/69 pulse 64
BP @ 3:50 p.m. was 126/64 pulse 75
BP @ 3:56 p.m. was 115/59 pulse 76
BP @ 9:42 p.m. was 94/47 pulse 71
BP @ 11:37 p.m. was 116/61 pulse 68 (took 1-½ Entresto)

Friday, October 13

No CPAP – Oximetry for Oct 12: SpO2 low 84, 17 events <88% with overall avg., 94.1%. Avg. low SpO2, 90.0.x%. Pulse avg. 58.5, low 52. Slept 5 hrs 8 min.

John left at 5:40 for Candy Point Trail near Grand Coulee dam.
The start of the trail (T.H.; lower left) is in the parking lot of City Hall and just 2/3 mile from the Grand Coulee Dam. The blue dots and whitish line indicate an old wooden water line, once used to supply irrigation. The red dots show the approximate location of the trail as it goes uphill, along, and crossing the small stream. Then it goes uphill steeply with sharp turns to the top of Cherry Point. Trail corridor includes Poison Ivy and (on Sunday), a Rattlesnake.

John was only there on Friday, but it was a F/S/Sun affair. He took firewood for the overnight campers.
Me? I’m either staying home or finishing music Thursday and Friday.

I got up long enough to help feed the outside cats, say bye-bye to John, and go back to bed. I was up until almost 2:00 a.m. and very much needed my sleep. I guess I got it, sleeping in until 10:38 a.m.

I must now get on the music prep I have been too sick to do for weeks, and need to set up PDFs, and then create a master to copy. I am sure that won’t happen until next week.

We are receiving some bad scenes from web news of the fires in California. We do pay attention because family and friends live in the region, but south of the Bay.

Been working on music but need to eat a late lunch. I just haven’t felt up to it yet and wasn’t hungry after sleeping so late and having a banana with my coffee. At 2:30, I had (leftover) Omelet, sausage, fruit cocktail & banana.

John called at 3:43 while passing through Electric City (3 miles south of the Dam). Steamboat Rock was in view when we finished talking; about to lose reception. He will call from George, WA with a new ETA. He may not be home until 7:00 or 7:15 p.m. I looked at the outside temperature and it was 48.9°F.

On the front porch, Sue and Salazar were waiting beside an empty bowl (for dry cat food). I filled it, and then they were still demanding food so I fixed a bowl they could share of canned food. I also saw “our” 3 deer at the front gate and fence, so I fed them a package of stale Party Mix little bread pieces (meant for dipping in olive oil). The young ones are now 17 months old. They were finishing that and 2 others arrived (a doe with this year’s fawn, small).

About 4:30 p.m., Cody, nurse at Cle Elum called. I learned that my INR= 3.1 (which is better than the INR calculated 10/4/17, and while okay on its own, it’s probably influenced by the Amoxicillin). Tonight is my last pill of that. So, she wants me to have a redraw in 2 weeks and 1 day, because Fridays are better for me than Thursdays. The two things of importance to me on the BMP came back fine as well. Sodium = 128 mEq/L (up from the previous, 122, 126, so that’s good and I’m on my way to the low end of the normal range, 133 mEq/L. We will redo the BMP next time, with the INR.

I finally finished the dishes loading just as John called on his last leg at No. 81 road, about 6 miles away from home, so I was able to put Annie out to wait for him.
He arrived home at 6:00 p.m., found there was no mail yet delivered for the day. He let Annie out to inspect her domain while he fed the horses. We have both Black and Carpathian Walnuts dropping, so he picked up the day’s offerings before coming inside.

I’m back to working on music now, getting rested before my part in making our supper dinner salad.

Time has passed, we ate, and I downloaded the SpO2 Review data from last night (Oct 12) – took longer than normal because I had to download twice, but still got it in 6 minutes, so I can go to bed and record tonight’s over last night’s.

BP @ 9:06 a.m. was 127/70 pulse 71
BP @ 10:37 a.m. was 122/69 pulse 72
BP @ 10:44 a.m. was 132/74 pulse 80
BP @ 2:58 p.m. was 125/70 pulse 80 (took 1-½ Entresto)
BP @ 10:29 p.m. was 110/60 pulse 72 lowered by ”
BP @ 10:37 p.m. was 122/69 pulse 72 (took 1-½ Entresto)

Saturday, October 14

No CPAP – Oximetry for Oct 13: SpO2 low 79, 12 events <88% with overall avg., 93.8%. Avg. low SpO2, 90.7%. Pulse avg. 58.5, low 53. Slept 7 hrs 35 min.

We were intrigued by the overnight’s cold temperatures (25°F) that was causing our Black Walnut tree to be “raining” many leaves to the ground, at a rapid rate. At John’s suggestion, I took my old digital camera with video capabilities, outside in the cold, and left it videoing for 12 minutes. I put the camera atop a box on the cable table and that’s the reason the fence is at the bottom of the image view. The falling rate had decreased since our initial viewing, but you can see all the leaves on the ground in the yard and driveway.
For the view of the most falling, move ahead to 8-½ minutes into the video, and view only the next 3 minutes.
View at this link:

Black Walnut tree leaves fall

We took care of other morning chores (email, etc.) and finally ate brunch at 11:30 a.m.
John didn’t leave for the mail (from last night) and papers, until 1:00 p.m. today.
He is back from getting the mail and last night’s paper, (meaning both were again delivered late)! And this morning’s papers normally here in the morning (WSJ & local weekend one) are not yet here. Jennifer, our paper carrier, must be having issues of some sort.

My temperature was 97.5°F at 9:45 a.m.
Amoxicillin, no longer taking, finished my 10 days, yesterday.
Will take pills the rest of the day, with PowerAdeZERO, while still trying to increase my sodium % in blood for next week’s BMP Friday (also with INR to check if it lowered more).
Worked on dishes, and music for Oct & Nov.

Welcomed John home at 6:00 p.m.

BP @ 9:50 a.m. was 129/72 pulse 70 (took 1-½ Entresto)
BP @ 1:07 p.m. was 102/59 pulse 67 lowered by ”
BP @ 11:46 p.m. was 100/59 pulse 62 (took 1-½ Entresto)

Sunday, October 15

No CPAP – Oximetry for Oct 14: SpO2 low 85, 3 events <88% with overall avg., 93.7%. Avg. low SpO2, 92.4%. Pulse avg. 58.2, low 52. Slept 8 hrs 30 min.

John went to the road, and found the Saturday paper had been delivered after 6:00 p.m. last night, as it was in the paper box this morning. It was supposed to come yesterday morning. We had NO mail delivery at all on Saturday. At least we usually get some mail we don’t want.

John took off for town to do a few things, driving his old truck to stop by Safeway and Grocery Outlet for some needed things, and to load 30 gallons or so in his truck for winter activities around the property (carrying bales of hay, etc.). He intends to buy gate panels (10 ft. and 4 ft.) for a 14 ft. span across the driveway. These will replace a make-shift pole and rope barrier.

He just called to say he didn’t have his Costco Visa card in his wallet. He used another card, but it was the only card that saves him 4% on all gasoline prices. He will go by Grocery Outlet and Safeway, but the Coop is closed, so he went to Arnold’s Ranch & Home for a gate, and ended up buying two to go across the end of our driveway (entrance), because they had wire mesh on the bottom, and are better suited up by the road. The entrance to the pasture, 300 feet from the road, needs to be strong but not fancy.The place came with aluminum slat gates. They do not stand up to either horses nor wind. Why they are still made is a mystery.
I’m continuing to alternate working on the blog, on dishes (unloading clean and loading soaked dirty ones from & to the dishwasher), and interspersing music prep.

John returned and found the missing Visa card in a shirt pocket with several WTA business cards of the same size. So that’s good. I will not have to order a replacement.

I fixed food for one cat, but he followed John and Annie to the pasture. The three of them went to feed the horses.

I took my temperature at 4:50 p.m. and it is 97.7°F.

John is fixing supper and will put out a place holder afterwards. We won’t publish it until tomorrow.

My BP @ 9:13 a.m. was 117/70 pulse 61
My BP @ 11:26 a.m. was 136/83 pulse 69
My BP @ 11:34 a.m. was 132/73 pulse 68
My BP @ 12:23 p.m. was 127/68 pulse 71 (1-½ Entresto)
My BP @ 4:46 p.m. was 119/67 pulse 72 lowered by ”
My BP @ 9:08 p.m. was 108/57 pulse 65
My BP @ 11:25 p.m. was 112/64 pulse 61 (1-½ Entresto)

October 16, 2017 Monday

No CPAP – Oximetry for Oct 15: SpO2 low 85, 5 events < 88%, <88% with overall avg., 94.4%. Avg. low SpO2, 90.7%. Pulse avg. 57.7, low 50. Slept 8 hrs 17 min.

John—out currently in the flower plot, planting Tulips (orange) & double Daffodils (red on yellow). The 25°F morning put an end to our flowers. He has removed the Dahlia tubers and Gladioli bulbs, which, here, will not winter in the soil. They are now in the house, to be coddled in something so they don’t dry out as last year’s, sadly, did. They were just in a box in the garage.

BP @ 9:07 a.m. was 132/71 pulse 65
BP @ 10:10 a.m. was 128/45 pulse 67 (1-½ Entresto)
BP @ 3:43 p.m. was 106/58 pulse 62 lowered by ”
BP @ 10:23 p.m. was 121/69 pulse 62
BP @ 11:29 p.m. was 117/62 pulse 64 (1-½ Entresto)

Today was a fairly good outside work day for him.
Not so good on Blewett Pass, Hwy 97, north of us, on the way to Highway #2, that John sometimes uses to travel to WTA trips.

Today on Blewett Pass a Semi Rig with trailer overturned and dumped 56,000 pounds of apples on the roadside and in the ditch. The rig and trailer have now been up-righted w/ WSDOT, alternating traffic around. They expected delays as crews worked to clean up apples. They won’t leave them there for more people to cause accidents by gleaning from the side of the road spill. Deer and Elk might decide to visit, also.Photos from Trooper Brian Moore, WA State Patrol, at MP 170, about noon. This spot is 22 miles north of us.

I have worked on getting this blog completed for John’s review and edits for several days, including today, still. He’s on his way to bed, but I’m on the last proof of the text and photos, will put it on a flash drive with the photos to enter, and leave it for him to find, when he awakes in the morning. He can then start on the edits, while is it still cold outside. The morning temperature is expected to be no higher than 35°F, with possible rain, clouds, and high afternoon winds. I have canceled going to my exercise class.

At 2:30: For 2 hours, wind gusts above 54 miles per hour have been recorded. Under the walnut trees, the ground is covered with yellowish nuts, and the leaves are on their way to the Columbia River, and then the Pacific Ocean. That’s a long trip, so some of them might not make it that far. Still, there are a few leaves and nuts hanging in the trees. Amazing.

Hope your week was fine.

Nancy and John
Still on the Naneum Fan