Read the small print

Sunday, July 16

For July 15 CPAP. Reported figures. AHI=0.00. Events: 0 H, 16 RERA. Time on 5 hrs 2 min with (max = 15 L/min). Oximetry: SpO2 low 85 (off CPAP), 7 events <88% with overall avg., 93.8%. Pulse avg. 53.5, low 43.

For breakfast I had a couple cups of coffee before late brunch, John fixed (a leftover omelet piece, fruit cocktail, and ham). He left for town about 12:45 for bananas for me and gasoline for his trip to Mt. Rainier.

Monday, July 17

For July 16 CPAP. Reported figures. AHI=1.15. Events: 6 H, 1 PP, 15 RERA. Time on 5 hrs 12 min with (max = 44 L/min). Oximetry: SpO2 low 87 (Off CPAP), 1 event <88% with overall avg., 93.5%. Pulse avg. 54.2, low 50. Another 3 hours off CPAP, still on Oximeter

I went to Audra and was thrilled at my inches lost total on 9 different inch measurements (chest, above waist, waist, stomach, hips, upper left leg, upper right leg, upper left arm, upper right arm for a total loss of 12 inches; even better is the loss of 9 lbs of weight, since June 29, and the decline in body fat percent from 42% to 41%. The calculation is based on my height now that has decreased to 5’5″, over the past decade.

Tuesday, July 18

For July 17 CPAP. Reported figures. AHI=0.26. Events: 6 H, 1PP, 15 RERA. Time on 7 hrs 48 min with (max = 20 L/min). Oximetry: Unable to calculate until I find my Oximeter.

I went to the new replacement exercise for 45 minutes, and had a good experience. It was at the Senior Center, led by Katrina.

Supper: pear, cherries, raw cauliflower, cod, boiled shrimp, brown rice.

Wednesday, July 19

For July 18 CPAP. Reported figures. AHI=0.30. Events: 2 H, 20 RERA. Time on 6 hrs 43 min with (max = 9 L/min. Oximetry: Unable to calculate until I find my Oximeter to record overnight, as I’ve done since 2014.

Sent latest BPs to Dr. Kim via his nurse Colleen’s email printout with attachments to put on his desk, while he is serving all week at Yakima Regional Hospital. I’m also waiting for an ASAP possible appointment with him to evaluate my recent Echocardiogram (couple of weeks ago) and all my blood pressure since changing the dosage of Entresto, which lowers my blood pressure.

I went to play music and to eat at the Food Bank Soup Kitchen. I carried along my own food to replace their offering of two kinds of pastas, garlic bread, and dark green lettuce and/or vegetables, and dessert (unless it is a cup of fresh fruit).

In addition, from there, I went to SAIL exercise class at the senior center, and took along 2 gallons of cherries. Types are Royal Ann and Bing, or Rainier and Van, or what? We did plant 2 of the 3 the yellow/red ones, but so long ago the paper with the names is not, at the moment, findable. The Bing/Van ones (dark red/nearly-black) were here when we came and we have no information about those trees. A couple of apple trees are from those first planted here, but they are poor bearers, to be removed this year. There is also a small Bartlett Pear (almost died when the second owner failed to water adequately).

Breakfast: coffee
Lunch: hard-boiled egg, several shrimp, pieces of pear, cherries, with light green lettuce salad, cherry tomatoes, and grated carrots.

I went by the food bank, without Gloria (who was out of town) for music. Afterwards, on my way to the Senior Center, I stopped to pick up 2 extension cords from Jason at his going out of business sale. I left them yesterday when I came home with a several items, but Jason saved them for me. I paid $5 each for them. One has an extender for 2 extra 3-prong receptacles.

Afternoon snack: mixed nuts, cherries

Supper: Chicken, our yellow squash, our onions, our cherries, hard-boiled egg, and boiled shrimp.

Thursday, July 20

For July 19 CPAP. Reported figures. AHI=0.00, Events: 16 RERA. Time on 6 hrs 4 min with (max 8 L/min). Oximetry: none to report, until I locate my misplaced Oximeter.

Breakfast: nuts, banana, cherries.
Lunch – omelet piece, fruit cocktail, cherries, piece of toast.
Supper: yellow squash, onions, corn-on-the-cob, and salmon.

Went to play music at Pacifica, older folks in good shape. John drove his car to fill with gasoline for tomorrow’s WTA trail work trip 30 miles west of Steven’s Pass on Hwy 2, 20 miles short of the Puget Sound lowland.

We did not have to take Glenn to visit Anne today in Wenatchee. Someone else is driving him up.

Friday, July 21

For July 20 CPAP. Reported figures. AHI=1.41. Events: 1 CA. 7 H. 3 PP, 10 RERA. Time on 5 hrs 41 min with (max = 7 L/min). Oximetry: Unable to calculate until I find my Oximeter!

John has headed out. I’m going back to sleep another hour and then I need to clean my Blood Pressure measurer and take it to Bi-Mart for a possible replacement because of the low readings but mostly because it stopped storing the date or time on reads, since replacing the batteries. I fed Sue after John left.

His trip started at 6:00 a.m., for the Heybrook Lookout trail,
Lookout is at Coordinates: 47.810686, -121.525378
There has been a lookout at this location since 1925 with each getting a little taller. The latest improvements were done by the Everett Mountaineers. Hikers can reap the rewards of their hard trail trek by climbing the 89 steps to a viewing area. This trail is in the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie Nat’l Forest, Skykomish Ranger District. It is a short, steep, and close to Puget Sound trail that early season hikers mess up every spring, when hiking with snow still there. Water runs in the trail so hikers walk on the edge, pack snow down, that gets icy, so they walk farther off-trail. By the time the snow is gone and the area dries out, the many braids of the trail are 20 feet wide. John has worked in this Forest about 5 times this year and many times in previous years.

Before I lay back down to sleep, I visited with Doss Roberts, who came looking for John at our front fence. John had been gone over an hour. I still was in my sock feet and only took time to put on sunglasses. We talked about the irrigation ditch cleaning he arranged. I gave him $100 cash with an additional $20 donation for Louaine. He would not take any more, and he would not tell me the total, which was charged (the estimate before was it could reach $ 5,000). The ranchers/farmers that funded the backhoe contractor’s work cleaning up the rock in the channel that feeds water to them for their land, use the majority of the water, but some comes to us and to the neighbors downhill of us for our irrigation / pasture needs. First, use out of the diversion is by M.A. Sullivan for her plants, garden, then us, and our neighbor Louaine (a small pasture and apple tree). There are 2 more below us, Susan J. and Sherri F. Sherri planted about 120 tomato plants this year. If the summer is long and the harvest is good, she will have to go to the farmer’s market to get rid of them. Her pasture is leased to cattle folks, daughter of the previous owner.

I also and asked Doss all sorts of questions about the work; asked him what was done to our channel to get it flowing again, in addition to removal of the rock. I told him I knew the person who had accepted all the rock withdrawn over a full day’s worth of backhoe work, and transportation of the rock to remove it from the channel. I asked him the charge paid to the DNR for the permitting process necessary to legally allow the modification of the stream channel to occur. I wanted his permission to take a photo of the rock pulled out of our diversion that was stopping our water and visiting with Doss outside the fence about the bill he received from the “rock mover”. He would only accept from us, a donation of $100, although we intended to offered them more. I only had $100 in 20 dollar bills, but I had 2 more twenties I offered him, he wouldn’t take. I told him I would donate $20 in Louaine’s name, because she was waiting to hear the total of the bill we paid toward the cost. He did tell me I could tell Louaine that I put in the $20 for her, but not to tell Susan or Sherri or anyone else along the ditch (some do not have water rights and don’t take any, though it helps support the trees and pasture on their property. He says the amount of water we use on its way to their needs is small. The owner of the land where the removed rocks were transferred to provided the space for the rocks removed, (> 15 truckloads were removed from our channel) to restore all our water. He is upstream of us, and is a water user from the stream, but uses a different diversion. He, Allen, is the one with the big tractor that cleans snow off our driveway, and the drives of our neighbors. Other users of the water in the clogged channel include Susan Jipson, for her horse pasture, trees, and horse’s water. I called Louaine to tell her, and Darrell (does some work for her) answered to say she was visiting her mom and not there. I will call her Tuesday morning to tell her in person about putting in for her donation.

Up at 5:20 for diuretic, 2 Tylenol, and I created the new account to transfer all incoming mails to Jason’s closing of his business will cause us to lose this at the end of the year. It’s changed to be our new joint email address to The use of caps on N J and H in NancyJohnHultquist are accepted, even if lowercase. I think it is better for clarification to have the caps, and the email will be returned to that account only. As 2017 fades, we will have to get this message out – widely. Our blog entry will not be changed. It remains housed at

About Anne Engels: She went to the local ER and ended up being transferred to Wenatchee by helicopter for an operation and stashed in the ICU. She is no longer in ICU. She is in the Progress Care Unit (PCU), which is supposedly providing less intensive care than their (ICU). She is at Central Washington Hospital, Wenatchee; 24 miles, if we owned a helicopter, and 75 miles because we don’t. 🙂 There is a mountain to go around.
Anne is in good spirits. She has had other visitors (from church). She is scheduled to be released and back in Ellensburg soon, so I’ve only sent an e-mail message, no snail-mail card.

Probably tomorrow, we will pick up Glenn and take him to retrieve her to Ellensburg for a several days’ stay in the Rehab, where I was for 7 weeks in 2010. She is not going to need to stay that long.

I need to RENEW our Wall St. Journal subscription, because the cheaper rate is no longer available from College Subscription Service, so I have to go through the WSJ to renew, before it expires. Their web site has improved, but John still likes the paper and, now, we found someone who likes it also. We dropped off 2 weeks worth, and now we’re accumulating week 3 to her in Ellensburg.

Our Discover magazine is renewed through from Oct 2018 and at the price of $19.95.

I went to Bi-Mart to return the wrist BP monitor that quit working. They honored my request, and refunded me the current cost, $39.99. Pretty nice business practice. I had bought this identical Omicron wrist unit 1/17/17 at Bi-Mart in Ellensburg for $39.95. I no longer had my receipt, but they honored my word and even returned my new batteries I had put in it when it stopped showing the date and time on recording the BP reads.

I went at 12:20 p.m. to eat BBQ beef from the Fire & Grill BBQ in town – which they had donated today to the food bank. I also ate refried** beans and a lot of salad because it was all made from Iceberg lettuce. [**Spanish frijoles refritos, refritos meaning “well-fried”, and not “fried again” as might be assumed from the use of re in English. After being boiled and then mashed into a paste, the beans are sometimes then fried or baked, though usually neither, thus making the term “refried” even more misleading.]

I stayed after for an hour volunteering my time to make sandwiches of cheese, bologna, ham, and turkey, for the kids the Food bank feeds all summer at the city parks. We made 90 sandwiches. Amazing.

Then, I went by Complete Computer Services at 2:15 p.m. and it was not open. I called from outside the door, but it was supposed to be their last day, and I figured they would be open at that time the last day of the week. I want to pick up my merchandise I want to buy. [Later learned I’m off, and he will be around a few more days, but he’s packing everything to take to Goodwill.] John will be going in Monday to pick up the stuff I wanted last Friday, along with a FREE complete PC setup with Windows 10 or Windows 7, with tower, keyboard, and mouse, to give to our neighbor, Ken S.

Saturday, July 22

For July 21 CPAP. Reported figures. AHI=0.36. Events: 2 CSR, 2 H, 7 RERA. Total time on CPAP, 5 hrs 37 min with (max = 7L/min). Oximetry: Unable to calculate until I find my Oximeter!

John remembered to donate $50 to WTA Hike-A-Thon in Kara Chin’s name. It is recorded on line as a tax deductible donation to WTA for trail work maintenance. It’s too bad it’s not donated toward gasoline costs for volunteer workers to drive xxx miles to work sites around the state. {John says: Last year there were 150,000 hours of volunteer trail work with maybe 15,000 drives to trailheads. Carpooling and multi-day events happen. More going on than can be tracked, or paid for.}

Today, we drove John’s car for gasoline for his trip, and bought 9.298 gal of unleaded at 4% off with Costco Visa card, at Exxon Circle K for $2.599/gallon. It was advertised on the Gas site for a penny less / gal. there than Circle K. So much for help on line. Granted it was reported 18 hrs ago.

Finished eating Brunch before leaving.

John took a photo on his camera of a single Dahlia for me to send to Anne Engels attached to an email to her in the Wenatchee hospital till sometime next week (when we will have more than one to deliver to her).

John took a photo of the bottles of the Good Sense Ear Wax Treatment and the Same brand of Artificial Tears Drops from Good Sense that I mistakenly bought yesterday and put in my very dry right eye (it was ear wax remover drops, carbamide peroxide) that burned severely at 6:58 a.m. this morning. I ran down the hall to wash my eye out, and put GenTeal GEL into that right eye; I slept with it closed for 2 more hours, and it seemed to be all right.
John also took a photo of the Good Sense Moisture Drops Artificial Tears plastic container and the Good Sense Ear Wax Remover Drops receptacle. John also took a photo of two Good Sense containers, side by side. See below.The container & packing for the Good Sense Artificial Tears and Good Sense Eye Drops Irritation Relief are on the left. The Container on the far right is the look alike I bought unknowingly from Bi-Mart that contained the Ear Wax Removal Drops, which I put in my right eye. I will suggest the company change colors!

We took Cherries to Lee Kiesel and to Bill Bollmer at Briarwood and called Lee before arriving. She was going to deliver Bill’s to him tonight, when she would see him. Lee coordinates our music playing (food after) at Briarwood, and Bill, a resident there, makes fruit and nut breads and gives us several loaves a year.

Sunday, July 23

For July 22 CPAP. Reported figures. AHI=0.00. Events: 0 H, 17 RERA. Time on 5 hrs 11 min with (max = 12 L/min). Oximetry: Unable to calculate until I find my Oximeter!

I slept 3 hours after John left for Mt. Rainier at 5:43 a.m. John took this photo of a red & yellow Dahlia he grew, and I sent it to Anne today as a get well card at the hospital in Wenatchee. Tomorrow or Tuesday we will go pick her up from Wenatchee.

These photos arrived this morning from Elise Schlosser in Andover, NJ, where this morning on her walk through a park, she took these photos and sent me as, “Symmetry in Nature.” I asked her if I could share in my blog. She is a regular reader.Photos taken today 7-23-17 by Elise

Brunch – Fresh Cherries, half banana, boiled pealed shrimp, prunes.
Supper – Refried beans, BBQ meat, tomato.
John didn’t arrive home until late – 8:00 p.m. Long day, big rocks, and waited for hikers to return from a high point, and so on. Below is a photo at 7,200 feet – the lunch spot (taken by John):Count the colors.

A flowering rock garden that is hard to believe.

Hope your week was fine.

Nancy and John

Still on the Naneum Fan