No Blood Moon Here

and other events of the week.

Sunday, Jan 28

No CPAP or Oximetry – for Jan 27, slept 8 ½ hrs.

Weather is overcast today, awoke to 38° and by 2:00 was up to 46°. Yesterday began at 35° with several inches of snow, overnight, followed by a chilling wind and rain. Crazy weather.

Today, we worked on the blog and published it. John took care of morning feedings, including our brunch. I spent time on proofing his edit of the blog and again for spacing, after he put it into WordPress. Now he is out with Annie, brushing in the “swamp.”

I spent a bunch of time putting in my medicines for the week, and now need to tackle the photos from Friday, to send to a couple people at the senior center. I just set up this blog start for capturing this week’s activities, and giving me reminders on things I have to do through the week.

Monday, Jan 29 Our sister Peggy’s birthday!

No CPAP or Oximetry – for Jan 28, slept 8 hrs 10 min.

Called Deschelle at YHC and ask about the scheduling issue. I now have an appointment with Dr. Tony Kim, new cardiologist, at YHC, March 19th check in at 1:40 p.m. and lab paperwork will precede the visit, being drawn 3 – 5 days before. The orders are here and attached to the big desktop calendar on the wall in our kitchen. Also, a call later in the week allowed me to double up and have my device check at 1:00 before the cardiologist one. That will save us a trip to Yakima.

Here is the information on my new cardiologist I will meet for the first time in March. Although he looks so young, he is well qualified, and he was recommended by my retiring Dr. Anatole Kim (unrelated).

For a more legible version of the image below, right click on the image and click on “Open image in a new tab” (on your computer). We don’t know how to enlarge it on a Smart phone.Sent email to KV F&F about Rehab count for Thursday.
SAIL at 1:30.
Busy with many emails and other chores at home and away.
Visit to my neighbor’s.

Tuesday, Jan 30

No CPAP or Oximetry – for Jan 29, a restless night, only slept parts of 7 ½ hrs. in bed.

I stayed home today from town. My left shoulder was really bothering me yesterday during SAIL class, and I did not want to try waltzing today in the Ballroom Dancing class. I think next Tuesday’s Line Dancing class will be much easier for me, because my legs operate better than my left shoulder, with its ROM, and severe arthritis issues with bone-on-bone.

This will likely be the day my Bi-Mart number comes up a winner, as you have to be there in person to claim the prize. They do give several nice things, company (stores) wide, but usually a “last digit” only win is about a 78¢ thing.

We had a nice brunch, and I’m tackling chores again. So much to do, and so little time. Wind is blowing fiercely, with blue skies, white friendly clouds, and sunshine.

IMPORTANT piece of US Postal information. I learned of this from a discussion on Facebook of unreceived or expected stolen mail. A person in our county (this was on the Community Connect Kittitas County site), gave this link, noted it was a free service and she used it every day. I checked it and in about 2 days, I began receiving images. See my brief explanation and examples below. I only wish I had had this in place when I never had a package delivered with pillowcases in it from my friend Miriam, in Alabama. Or, other letters mailed and not received because the mailbox door was left open and they blew out. This happened a lot more to my neighbor, Susan, than to us, but we did have some.

{ copy and paste the red link, below }
is the link to sign up for the free service from the USPS. Only one person at the address has to register with an email account, and all mail delivered to that address will be included. During the sign-up procedure, you will be asked specific questions (multiple-choice) which securely identify you from anyone else using the system to check mail coming to your address. I think you will be as amazed as I was at the information in those questions. Be sure going in you recall your last residence’s road name.

You will receive a daily email early in the day, when the mail is scanned for delivery to the postal person bringing it to your mailbox. If you do not receive all your mail, you can report it right on line in the sent email.

This is the report you will receive; I have just included two of the type of images delivered the morning they will be put into your mailbox.Interesting, the last one to John Hillquist (sic), a refund for a doctor’s visit in April, 2017, which I mentioned in a blog early in 2018. I followed up on it, saying we did not owe that balance as we had paid it, and why was it coming through so late? Turns out it was their mistake, in both places, but the bill spelled his name correctly.

This reminds me of posted names on a container on John’s dad’s desk, of a number of misspellings of Hultquist for business correspondence as the purchasing agent of Owens-Illinois Glass in Clarion, PA. It was quite hilarious. I also wonder what happened to that piece of history.

Wednesday, Jan 31

No CPAP or Oximetry – for Jan 30, slept 7 ½ hrs.

Food bank soup kitchen music, and SAIL. I stopped by the Safeway Pharmacy for my Atorvastatin. Cost less there than my normal pharmacy, by half. In 3 months, I’ll check and see what the price is at Costco (and consider transferring to there). Right now the difference isn’t but a buck, but Safeway’s price went up $4.00 in the past 3 months on the GoodRx price. So I need to lock it in now while it is lower. Costco will take it once and put the coupon in my file for the next time I wish to refill it. If it goes down before the next purchase, I can print that coupon and Costco will honor it. A sweet deal. Still, all this medical stuff is a pain.

We do not have the cameras and equipment to make decent pictures of the moon. But today was a special day for people who did not have too many clouds. Here in our valley, we were enveloped in clouds. I always can search the web and find better images than trying to do my own.

Following is not the traditional meaning, but people have started calling the 2nd Full Moon in a month a Blue Moon, as this was. If you could view it, light scattering causes the Moon to look reddish during an eclipse. And the Moon is currently close to Earth, so appears somewhat larger than is frequently the case. I got these from places on the web:Red moon over Los Angeles; Statue of Liberty; unsure of location.

Thursday, Feb 1

No CPAP or Oximetry – for Jan 31, slept > 8 hrs.

I have now been retired 8 years, and I’m still being asked to write letters of recommendation for former students. Another is in the process. John mostly taught first and second year students and never has to do this.

I went to the Rehab alone today, taking along a load of stuff for music and gifts. Tonight was the Ice Age Floods Institute, Ellensburg Chapter night, with a talk on the Paisley Caves in Oregon, at 7:00 p.m., at CWU. It was raining when we drove in, and when we returned, and got closer to home, it was snowing with rain.

I saw and visited with Morris Uebelacker (over from Othello!), Hank Fraser, Don & Sharon Cocheba, Steve Hackenberger, Tom and Joyce Lyon, William Meyer, Jan Demorest & Steve Young, and George & Julie Verheul.

John and I arrived early to get our front row seats for the best video opportunities. Questions and answers are more difficult, but the presentation is easy to do in a relatively stable environment. I stored the YouTubes as “unlisted” so they are not public, and the only way to reach them is to have the link.You really will be surprised by the content below, and the earliest human inhabitants (Native Americans) in this region; 300 miles south of us.

Using DNA, dating by carbon and other methods, the story is still unfolding of a culture called Western Stem. From 6 years ago, here is a LINK

In 2008, scientists from the University of Oregon and the University of Copenhagen found dried feces, from which they extracted human mitochondrial DNA, dated 14,300 years ago.

The link above is from 2012. Each summer, more is learned. We heard the latest. Below is the first image from the presentation.(1) Introductions, Ellensburg Chapter, IAF, 2 -1 -18, CWU


(2) Presentation by Dennis L. Jenkins, Archaeology and Science at the Paisley Caves, Oregon.

Research Story

(3) Dennis Jenkins: Discussion Questions & Answers, 2-1-18 CWU

Digging Deeper

Once home, we finished the casserole from the 2 nights before.

Friday, Feb 2

No CPAP or Oximetry – for Feb 1, slept 8 hrs.

A few morning chores and we took off for the senior center to take photos and videotape a talk on Heart Attacks and what to do if you think one is happening.

We got there about 11:15 and chose a seat I thought would give me a clear view to record his talk, but his method of lecturing was walking around the room. I finally left my seat and lunch and tried to follow him by holding the camera and moving around myself. The setup I originally planned for was stationary on a table.

Dave Jones Heart Attack Talk, AAC 2-2-18

Talk Talk

Defibrillator Procedure

John’s working on his part of the blog, this week’s not so nasty news, and I am way behind.

High winds started tonight and continued through the night.

Saturday, Feb 3

No CPAP or Oximetry – for Feb 2, in bed 8 hrs. but it was a noisy, interrupted, restless “sleep.”

Our sleep was totally disrupted by the high winds and banging noises, gusts buffeting the house, doors and windows, awaking John and me every hour. Much happened throughout the night, but about 5:00 a.m. the small rain-guard structure at the back patio door completely blew over, making a loud crash. The metal roofing had been bouncing all night, with the high northwestern winds.

I took John’s camera in the dark on the patio and took some pix I’ve included below, and then John put on his clothes and secured it to keep it from blowing into the double glass patio doors. It was a structure made of pallets and wood with a metal roof to keep water drained from the house roof, into buckets, so the runoff didn’t splash badly on the patio door. Once dismantled, John put pieces of wood and the heavy pallets on the metal roofing to keep it in place until he can clean it up.

In the daylight I took the photos of the collapsed mess. We were fortunate it did not blow into the patio door. A few other small things around the house (mostly for the animals), were disturbed as well. Above shows the top & windblown separated metal roofing. From inside the house, the left end pallet tilted over. That’s its corner under the roof part.This shows the proximity to our double glass patio door. Still nighttime. Also shows the right side that did not collapse.These are the pieces John moved away from the patio door and weighed down to keep them from blowing into the windows. He did this in the dark, until he could clean up later. Nothing much else came apart, but far from the house a 35 foot dead tree snapped off about 20 feet up and the top speared the ground, then broke again.

Early morning I realized I was out of Amiodarone, and had to make a trip to town. It was filled 1-29 and I never received notice, and forgot about it until I needed to fill my pill box for the week. The pills have to be quartered (which the pharmacy is kind enough to do for me), and it usually takes longer, but I ordered over a week ago, and forgot I would be running out the end of the week. We were both in town yesterday, but as I never had received a reminder call, and forgot, we came home without it.

This morning we managed to get there and also participate in their 12-hr sale, getting good prices on chunks of cheddar cheese for half price, sour cream, ground beef, some PowerAde Zero for me, and best of all a large piece of smoked turkey breast, which John cuts up and freezes as smaller packages we can use for our salads and casseroles. We got some other good deals as well. The sale was mostly for folks that will be snacking while watching the 2018 Super Bowl LII. Not much of interest in most of that.

While there I donated to the Kittitas Valley Friends of Animals (KCFOA). They are the organization who has helped us through neutering and spaying, and getting shots and worming, for 3 feral cats (thus far), and we have another male who has adopted us and we will be taking him in when the weather is better on the pass. No longer do they use the local vet service to do the work, because the cost went too high. The cost to anyone through KCFOA is $10 (or used to be, several years ago). Now the work must be done in Seattle. I know a friend who just had a female cat spayed and the cost was $130. I will add a donation when we take our cat in. We have to carry him to town, to a lady who has a place in her garage to contain, feed and water him, until the trip over to have him neutered and cared for, and then returned to her house, where we pick him up, and we continue taking care of him as an outside only cat.

We just got back from town about 1:00, and because we’d already had brunch, I got back to work on the blog and dishes, while John went outside to take care of chores. The winds kept us awake but the power never went off and, thankfully, no damage to cars, trucks, barns, or house. There is some outside cleaning up to do.

Airport only registered 39 mph gusts early morning, but I’m sure they were above 50 out here. I wish we had an anemometer installed. The house was shaking, rattling, and rolling.

As the final comment, check out the past 17 hours of wind speeds (particularly the gusts) at Bowers Field, the airport 5 miles south of our house. As the wind grew stronger there, it lessened here as the system headed east.Finally, you see the last hour above, the wind gusts ceased. However, from early morning, we had a lot of wind all day long.

Good long conversation with sister Peggy tonight about family history and stories.

If you visit John’s TW’NSNN (This Week’s Not So Nasty News) by reading the post now following this one, you will see a statement about his brother. We have now copied and placed it here:
Further, I wrote last week that my brother had died. Here is a link to his story in the San Jose Mercury News:
My brother Dick

Hope your week was fine.

Nancy and John
Still on the Naneum Fan