Sunday about 5:30 PM

I called the ICU early today and then waited until this afternoon to go down to Yakima.  Nancy is holding her own without the ventilator. Because of the long time with the tubes in, her voice was very weak and we (nurse and I) tried to talk in a manner that she could nod and not have to speak.  She also tried writing on a clipboard but weakness, attached tubes, and such made much of it hard to read.

The nurse had no luck with the notes Nancy tried to write but I could make out a few words and then guessed at the rest — Nancy would agree or disagree and I would try again.  We made some progress.

She was hungry and finally we got printed “Is food not part of the service here?”  She had been well fed with a brownish liquid via a drip line and that’s probably not going to leave you full when it is taken away.  Because of the sore throat we just got her some jello and orange juice.

We played — or attempted to play — a little verbal trick on her. We have a dog named Shay and I asked if she remembered Shay.  The nurse quickly said “Is that your cat?”  With no hesitation, Nancy let her know that Shay wasn’t a cat.

She insisted on keeping the paper and pencil with her even though the folks there can’t make as much sense of  her attempts at writing as I can.

Her nurse thought Nancy was improving by the hour and by Monday AM would be still better.  I will go back early with some of her favorite yogurt as that flavor isn’t usually available.  I can also help with the communications.

More Monday evening.

Saturday afternoon

There is not much to report at the moment.

As of noon the ventilator was set on its

lowest setting and either later today or

Sunday the idea is to see if she can go it

alone.  If not it will be restarted and

they wait some more.

As I understand this, when her pulmonary

function deteriorated last Saturday there

was some damage to organs which now have

to heal, which is occurring slowly.

As her sedation has been reduced a bit

she has responded to those about her,

but any neurological issues are yet to be

determined.  First the ventilator has to go.

So no news there.

Liver enzymes levels, which in her case

seem to be relevant*, are continuing to

come down – suggesting in-progress healing.

I did not get numbers today but a couple of

days ago they were reduced by 30% from the

day before.  (*may not be in some other

sorts of liver issues)

On the home front I had to replace the

heater in the horse trough (expecting very

cold for a few days here).  And I am

working with the youngest of the dogs

trying to get her to go in and out via

a ‘doggy’ window.  The two oldest are

fine with this from previous experience

but this one thinks I’m nuts for asking.

Friday afternoon 12/4/2009

I visited Nancy mid-day today and she was less sedated

and able to respond – open eyes, squeeze my hand and

such.  Still not off the ventilator. 

I just got home so that is it for now.  I’ll work on this

tonight and add material. John

Comments are off for now.  Thanks.